General Practice NSW
General Practice NSW provides leadership and coordination across the primary health care sector in New South Wales. Our organisation is currently exploring a transition to include a broader based membership of diverse and multi-disciplinary stakeholders in primary health care.
Primary health care requires well-resourced and coordinated support to function well. A good primary health care system ensures effective disease prevention and management, maximised health outcomes and sustained access to professional high quality care for all sections of our diverse community.
We were initially established to work at a state level to support and promote the work of the NSW Divisions of General Practice Network. We supported the transition of Divisions to Medicare Locals between 2011 and 2012. During much of 2013 we provided state level representation for the 17 NSW Medicare Locals. Our purpose is to build and maintain good working relationships with relevant public, private and not-for-profit stakeholders in NSW and to maximise the capacity and influence of the primary health care movement in the health care sector.
Australian primary health care is facing possibly the most disruptive and far reaching change in recent memory. More than ever before, it is vital to maintain stability and continuity to collaboratively navigate the emerging new relationships, challenges and opportunities that will be a legacy of the Primary Health Network (PHNs) implementation. General Practice New South Wales is advocating for a state-based primary health care sector organisation to assist and strengthen primary health care as our health care system is redefined. Promoting primary health care integration is a vital strategic and operational priority for our sector.
As Networking Health NSW we want to move forward with your support. We would like to invite you to join like-minded colleagues in exploring and responding to the primary health care reforms across New South Wales. We are seeking Expressions of Interest to join other members in creating a new state-based primary health care sector organisation, with multi-disciplinary and multi-agency members. We are accepting applications NOW and offer complimentary membership until the 30 June 2015.
Download A Case for a Future State-Based Sector Organisation brochure.
A strong and integrated primary health care system in New South Wales
To advance health reform in NSW through strengthening primary care systems and expertise
- Advocate for a stronger and more integrated primary health care system in NSW
- Coordinate activities that add value to the State's primary health care system
- Identify funding opportunities to develop the business of and create cost efficiencies for primary health care organisations
- Facilitate learning, information sharing and networking between key primary health care organisations and other stakeholders
Representation and Advocacy
- Raise the profile of primary health care and the key role of general practice in the delivery of primary health care which is inclusive of allied health and consumers
- Ensure that general practice and allied health are represented in planning and implementation of health services in NSW
- Establish collaborative relationships with other centres of influence in the health sector
- Develop programs, provide support and promote activities across health priority areas that are responsive to member needs.
- Primary Health Care can’t thrive without effective relationships between health providers. General Practice NSW works to build partnerships at the state level with a range of stakeholders including NSW Government Departments, non-government and consumer organisations and Medicare Locals.
**The information on this website should not be used for individual medical advice. Please see your doctor if you have concerns or specific questions relating to your health.